Writing Assignment #2 is a 3-5 page, double-spaced, research paper about an artwork that embodies one of the movements we have covered in the second half of this class (after Exam #1). Possible examples include: Dada, Impressionism, Realism, Constructivism, Futurism, Regionalism, Surrealism, Pop, Abstract-Expressionism, etc. For your draft, you must submit a compelling outline, complete with thesis statement and reference section. This draft will help you build a strong final paper.
To receive 100 points on this assignment you must submit a Word document to canvas by April 19th that meets the following requirements:
- State a clear thesis that makes a compelling argument – Do not make a claim that is common knowledge. For example, do not state that the artwork is about what the title states it is about. This statement can be multiple sentences.
- An example of a compelling thesis THAT CANNOT BE USED would be – Mary Cassatt’s 1879 painting Woman with a Pearl Necklace in a Loge embodies the Impressionist movement as well as her feminist beliefs in its subject matter, color palette, and composition. (remember to ALWAYS PUT THE TITLE OF ARTWORKS IN ITALICS).
- Include an outline that supports your argument. The outline should be in full sentences – starting with capital letters, correct punctuations, proofread for clarity.
- Make and support a minimum of three points that help make your argument.
- Each of your three points should have a minimum of three subpoints. These subpoints should be specific visual or textual evidence – this means cite aspects of the artwork that coincides with your claim or cite a specific article or book that supports your claim.
- Include a reference section that has a uniform format. You may use whichever format coincides with your major.
- Keep it consistent throughout – alphabetical order, indent the second line of each entry, quotes and italics when necessary.
- ACADEMIC SOURCES ONLY. No .com sources or Wikipedia articles. Entries MUST have authors and/or publishers.
- Proofread your draft before submitting it.
After submitting the document, check that it has been uploaded successfully and that I am able to view it.