Week 10 Case Study 5
Case Study 5: Mental DisordersDue Week 10 and worth 160 points
According to the text, mental disorders may be caused organically or via chemical or genetic causes. In either case, if left untreated the cost is usually dire. For this case study, use the Internet and/or the Strayer library (https://research.strayer.edu) to identify, research, and explore one criminal case from within the last three years involving a mental disorder that was not properly controlled.
Write a 3- to 5-page paper in which you address the following thoroughly. Cite specifics from the case to support your arguments:
- Compare and contrast three key similarities and three differences between mental illnesses and mental disorders. Provide one example of each similarity and difference to support your response.
- Examine the potential stressor(s) that could have triggered the defendant to act out in the criminal behavior. Next, hypothesize whether or not the defendant would have been a good candidate for treatment of his/her mental illness. Justify your response.
- Identify possible actions psychologists could have suggested to help the defendant before committing the criminal act. Support your response.
- Differentiate between the key characteristics associated with functional mental disorders, minor mental disorders (i.e., neuroses), and manic-depressive behavior. Next, support or criticize the notion that one disorder is more severe than the other. Justify your response.
- Use at least three quality academic resources in this assignment. Note: Wikipedia and similar types of websites do not qualify as academic resources.
Your assignment must follow these formatting requirements:
- Be typed, double spaced, using Times New Roman font (size 12), with one-inch margins on all sides; citations and references should follow the Strayer Writing Standards (SWS). Check with your professor for any additional instructions.
- Include a cover page containing the title of the assignment, the student’s name, the professor’s name, the course title, and the date. The cover page and the reference page are not included in the required assignment page length.
The specific course learning outcomes associated with this assignment are:
- Recommend improvements to societal stigmas associated with physical disabilities.
- Evaluate the importance of reconciling and distinguishing both physical and mental disabilities and how they are perceived by society.
- Use technology and information resources to research issues related to the criminal mind.
- Write clearly and concisely about topics involving the criminal mind using proper writing mechanics and technical style conventions.
Grading for this assignment will be based on answer quality, logic/organization of the paper, and language and writing skills, using the following rubric