In 1895, a report called Report from the Departmental Committee on Prisons, also known as the Gladstone Committee Report (GCR), was developed. The purpose of this report was to introduce ideas regarding rehabilitation in the United Kingdom.
An example of the impact in the United States was the creation of the standardized sentencing guidelines and the continual amendments used to assist offenders. In the United Kingdom, the GCR influenced how rehabilitation programs were being developed.
Discuss how the Gladstone Committee Report addressed conflict over the words rehabilitation and treatment. In this discussion, identify which word you would choose and the impact it has on society.
- Using the course materials, textbook, and Web resources, research the Gladstone Committee Report.
- Address the following in 3–5 paragraphs:
- How did the GCR address the use of the words rehabilitation and treatment?
- Which word would you choose as the appropriate term for handling offenders? Why?
- How does that word impact society? Explain.