The purpose of this assignment is to have the student identify and analyze various organizational structures, along with how structure impacts work.
Using class material, the articles listed below, and research where appropriate develop a 6-8-page research paper that addresses the relationship of structure to culture in creating an effective and efficient place to work. For this assignment, you will evaluate the strategies managers can utilize to impact organizational structure and culture. Address the following in your paper:
- Explain how organizational structure interfaces with organizational culture to create a smooth work and decision-making flow. Be sure to include a discussion of how organizational purpose relates to the relationship between the integration of structure and culture.
- Compare and contrast good and not so good organizations. First select two organizations from the best places to work (Forbes, Glassdoor, etc.). Research and describe each organizations’ structures and cultures.
- Analyze why the structure and culture work well in those organizations that are deemed the best places to work.
- Identify three strategic ways a manager could improve the interface of structure and culture.
- Finally, many large organizations are trying to transition to smaller more flexible structures. Identify three management strategies that can make a bureaucratic organization a more team-oriented, collaborative, and inclusive culture.
- Use of at least three scholarly articles and other professional sources to support your work.
Additional Requirements and How to Prepare the Submission
- APA formatting with in-text citations and a reference list is required.
- Read the grading rubric for the assignment
- Check the instructions to make sure all elements of the assignment have been covered.
- Third-person writing is required. Third-person means that there are no words such as “I, me, my, we, or us” (first-person writing), nor is there use of “you or your” (second-person writing). If uncertain how to write in the third person, view this link: https://www.quickanddirtytips.com/education/grammar/first-second-and-third-person .
- Contractions are not used in business writing, so the expectation is that students do not use contractions in assignments.
- Paraphrase and do not use direct quotation marks. This means you do not use more than four consecutive words from a source document, put a passage from a source document into your own words, and attribute the passage to the source document. Provide the page or paragraph number as appropriate for APA format. Note that a reference within a reference list cannot exist without an associated in-text citation and vice versa.
- Do not use books as source material.
- Students are expected to use a variety as well as multiple course readings and research to support ideas, reasoning, and conclusions.
- Submit the final project into the appropriate assignment submission folder. Once submitted, the project is eligible for grading and students will not be permitted to make changes or make another submission.