Choose a current political issue in the news that relates to some aspect of government activity (a court decision, an election, a bill, an international conflict, etc.) and write a paper on the following:
- State the main characteristic of the issue in one sentence.
- Find one example of each of the following types of data about the issue:
- Qualitative (interview, transcript, editorials, blog posting, etc.)
- Quantitative (proportion of justices supporting decision, numbers who voted on one side of issue or polling percentages, vote in legislature, numbers in international community on one side of the issue, etc.)
- Compare and contrast what the two types of data tell you:
- How are they complementary?
- How do their findings conflict or speak to cross-purposes?