Prepare: Review requirements for APA formatting. There are many resources found in the Writing Center, such as the following:
- Introduction to APA (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site.
- Formatting Your References List (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site.
- Citing Within Your Paper (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site.
Write: Using the Week 1 APA Unformatted Example Essay, complete the following task:
- Using the “Track Changes” function located under the “Review” tab at the top of the Word document with the unformatted essay, identify as many APA formatting errors as possible (there are at least 25 errors).
- Using the “Comments” function, correctly write out the APA rule that applies to the identified errors. You do this by highlighting the word, words, or error and clicking on “New Comment” located under the “Review” tab at the top of your Word document. A comment box will pop up at the right of your paper for you to write the rule to the error.
- Do not comment on repeat errors. For example, if two citations have the same formatting mistake, comment on only one of them.
- Note that there are some capitalization and punctuation errors that you may correct through Track Changes, but they are not the focus of this exercise.
Prepare: View the Globalization at a Crossroads (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site. series episode and read the article A Model of Global Citizenship: Antecedents and Outcomes by Stephen Reysen and Iva Katzarska-Miller (2013). Go to the Ashford University Library, and locate one additional source on global citizenship that will help support your viewpoint.
Reflect: Please take some time to reflect on how the concept of global citizenship has shaped your identity, and think about how being a global citizen has made you a better person in your community.
Write: Use the Week 1 Example Assignment Guide when addressing the following prompts:
- Describe and explain a clear distinction between “globalism” and “globalization” after viewing the video and reading the article.
- Describe how being a global citizen in the world of advanced technology can be beneficial to your success in meeting your personal, academic, and professional goals.
- Explain why there has been disagreement between theorists about the definition of global citizenship and develop your own definition of global citizenship after reading the article by Reysen and Katzarska-Miller.
- Choose two of the six outcomes of global citizenship from the article (i.e., intergroup empathy, valuing diversity, social justice, environmental sustainability, intergroup helping, and the level of responsibility to act for the betterment of this world).
- Explain why those two outcomes are the most important in becoming a global citizen compared to the others.
- Describe at least two personal examples or events in your life that illustrate the development of global citizenship based on the two outcomes you chose.
- Identify two specific general education courses.
- Explain how each course influenced you to become a global citizen.
The Importance of Becoming a Global Citizen
- Must be 750 to 1,000 words in length (not including title and references pages) and formatted according to APA style, as outlined in the Ashford Writing Center’s APA Style (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site.
- Must include a separate title page with the following:
- Title of paper
- Student’s name
- Course name and number
- Instructor’s name
- Date submitted
- For further assistance with the formatting and the title page, refer to APA Formatting for Word 2013 (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site..
- Must utilize academic voice. See the Academic Voice (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site. resource for additional guidance.
- Must include an introduction and conclusion paragraph. Your introduction paragraph needs to end with a clear thesis statement that indicates the purpose of your paper.
- For assistance on writing Introductions & Conclusions (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site. as well as Writing a Thesis Statement (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site., refer to the Ashford Writing Center resources.
- Must use at least one credible source in addition to the two required sources (video and article).
- The Scholarly, Peer Reviewed, and Other Credible Sources (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site. table offers additional guidance on appropriate source types. If you have questions about whether a specific source is appropriate for this assignment, contact your instructor. Your instructor has the final say about the appropriateness of a specific source for an assignment. The Integrating Research (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site. tutorial will offer further assistance with including supporting information and reasoning.
- Must document in APA style any information used from sources, as outlined in the Ashford Writing Center’s In-Text Citation Guide (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site..
- Must have no more than 15% quoted material in the body of your essay based on the Turnitin report. References list will be excluded from the Turnitin originality score.
- Must include a separate references page that is formatted according to APA style. See the Formatting Your References List (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site. resource in the Ashford Writing Center for specifications.