This assignment is designed to help you analyze civil liberties and the role of the U.S. Supreme Court in upholding them.
Visit the American Civil Liberties Union Supreme Court Cases website to see civil liberties cases that the U.S. Supreme Court has ruled on, organized by term. An additional resource is https://caselaw.findlaw.com/court/us-supreme-court
each student has a different and recent Supreme Court case involving civil liberties. Provide an analysis of the assigned case that addresses the following:
- The civil liberty that is addressed in the case, including the text of the amendment from the Bill of Rights that applies to the case
- An explanation of the Supreme Court’s involvement, including the following:
- The importance of the ruling (why it is significant)
- How the case moved through the lower courts to eventually be heard by the Supreme Court
- The powers granted to the Supreme Court by the constitution that allowed them to rule on the case
Format your assignment as a maximum 1000 word paper in APA.
Include citations for all unoriginal ideas, facts, or definitions in an APA-formatted reference list.
Be prepared to informally present (no visuals/slides required) a maximum five minute summary of the case in class.