neumatology: Spiritual Gifts — An old friend you have not seen since high school finds your profile on Facebook and notices that one of your interests is systematic theology. He sends you a message asking you, the “expert,” about spiritual gifts, especially the issue of speaking in tongues that is being debated in his home church.Keeping this scenario in mind, answer the following questions in your essay:
- What are spiritual gifts, and what is their purpose?
- How do spiritual gifts differ from the Fruit of the Spirit, and which of these two concepts show’s one’s spiritual maturity?
- What is a biblical definition and purpose of the gift of speaking in tongues?
- What is the baptism in the Holy Spirit, and what biblical evidence supports your view?
- Is speaking in tongues the necessary sign of the baptism in the Holy Spirit? Why or why not?
- Is speaking in tongues still valid today? Your answer to this question must interpret 1 Corinthians 13:8â€“10, the meaning of the “perfect,” and the various views on the issue. You must consult print or online commentaries for help in interpreting this passage.