In a 4-5 page paper, students will address a theological topic in our contemporary culture. They will utilize biblical commentaries and the documents of the Second Vatican Council in order to evaluate a theological position. Students will discuss the theological approach of the Catholic Church and then offer their own assessment of the topic. Students may submit partial or full drafts in advance for advice from the instructor. Students are free to choose any topic related to Christian Theology.
Here are some suggestions:
– Salvation Outside the Church (Lumen Gentium, Gaudium et Spes, Nostra Aetate )
– Catholic Social Teaching / Morality (Gaudium et Spes)
– Religious Freedom (Dignitatis Humanae)
– The Central Role of Jesus (Lumen Gentium, Gaudium et Spes, Nostra Aetate)
The paper should include:
– Identify a contemporary issue of disagreement in Christianity. Explain the issue, its relevance to our times today, and how people seem to fall on different sides of this issue.
– Consult and reference Vatican II documents. Introduce the Second Vatican Council. How do the bishops of Vatican II address the problem you are writing about? What is their main point and line of argument? What sources do they use (give special consideration to any biblical sources)
– Conclude: Express your own views on the issue, referring to your agreement or disagreement with the Vatican II texts. How might the Vatican II texts help people on both sides of the
argument today to move forward and seek agreement? Consider whether the Vatican II sources you cite are still relevant today, need to be restated or developed to fit with the newer times, or have been misused or misinterpreted.
Papers should be written in 12 point font, 1 inch margins, double-spaced. simple words please.