The Washington Post article review.
Your response should be about 3 paragraphs
Go to the following link:
The article is credited and referenced to Sorwitz, S. (2015, May 2). The painful price of aging in prison. The Washington Post, pp.
After reading the article, provide a brief review along with your comments on how prison and parole systems should handle elderly prisoners and how does this article relate to the “graying of America’s prisons” concept?
Part 2 Q&A
Answer the questions based on the following Powerpoint and lecture PDF file and list and reference “In text citations” Review the PDF lecture notes and the powerpoint as well.
1. What is meant by ‘cruel and unusual punishment’? What U.S. Constitutional Amendment addresses cruel and unusual punishment?
2. A person who supports the death penalty is known as a retentionist. What are the main arguments for the death penalty? (provide at least 2 factors)
3. A person who is against the death penalty is known as an abolitionist. What are the main arguments against the death penalty? (provide at least 2 factors)
4. Name the case in which the U.S. Supreme Court ruled to place a moratorium on the death penalty in the United States due to arbitrary & discriminatory concerns. (just list the case name and year.)
5. Name the case in which the U.S. Supreme Court ruled allowing the states to reinstate the death penalty provided that the states meet certain conditions (providing automatic appeal, bifurcated trial, review of aggravating & mitigating circumstances) of the death penalty phase. (just list the case name and year)
6. What is the gatekeeper function?
7. Can juveniles be sentenced to death? In your response, provide what United States Supreme Court case addresses juveniles and the death penalty pertaining to your answer. Just list the court case name – no other details are necessary.