In this milestone, you will explain the concepts of virtualization based on the business scenario provided. This milestone will prepare you for your Project One that is due in Module Five. If you have questions or want to share ideas about this project, please post them to the General Questions discussion.
The company you work for, Packages Plus Delivery (PPD), currently houses its physical computing environments on site. Packages Plus Delivery is growing, including the number of packages delivered and the number of employees hired each quarter. As a result of this growth and to better meet the needs of the clients, organizational leadership recently made the decision to virtualize all computing environments.
Leadership is deciding between internal virtualization and the use of an external vendor. They are also considering a move to cloud-based architecture but want to know more about the risks and cost benefits of moving to a cloud environment.
As a virtual solutions analyst at Packages Plus Delivery, you serve on the Virtualization Transition Committee. This group has been asked to create a presentation that emphasizes how the decision to move to virtualization will improve business strategy, and what the options are if the company considers moving the infrastructure to a cloud environment. Your presentation will ensure that leadership makes an informed decision.
You have been asked to create a presentation that supports the company’s decision to move to virtualization. Within the presentation, you must address each of the following critical elements:
- Describe how the company’s decision to move to a virtual computing environment will impact its business strategy. If you use sources, be sure to provide a citation.
You must include:
- The benefits of your company’s decision to move to a virtual computing environment
- The constraints of the decision to move to a virtual computing environment
- An explanation of how moving to virtualization will impact the scalability of the business
- The costs of moving to virtualization
- The hardware and software, and other technologies involved
- In order to provide the most detailed information, you need to compare the implications of the organization moving to a virtual environment using its hardware servers in-house with the implications of using a third-party vendor to virtualize. You may create a visual (such as a Venn diagram) or write a passage to explain these concepts. You will need to compare the following factors and describe the advantages, disadvantages, and risks associated with each:
- Cost: equipment such as hardware and software, maintenance (e.g., upgrades and backups), licensing, security (e.g., shared responsibility, on premises)
- Service availability
Guidelines for Submission
Your submission should be a presentation file (.ppt, PDF, .doc).
Your presentation must include:
- The evidence that supports your company’s decision to move to virtualization
- A comparison of creating a virtual environment in-house to using an external vendor
The following resources may help support your work on the project:
How to Design and Deliver an Effective Presentation
This document shows you how to design an effective presentation in Microsoft PowerPoint, Google Slides, Screencastify, and Apple Keynote.
Packages Plus Delivery images
You are welcome to use these images of the company’s logo to enhance your presentation.