Typification of Social Problems Short Paper
Write a short paper (maximum three pages, double-spaced) analyzing the typification of poverty in the United States.
- Explain the social construction of poverty as a social problem in the United States.
- What are the claims (the assumptions, evidence, and conclusions about poverty and its harmfulness to society)?
- Who are making these claims?
- What do claims-makers suggest to reduce, prevent, or remedy poverty and who should do it?
- What are the philosophies or beliefs about what society should do and what individuals should do that drive the practice of social work around poverty? How are disadvantage, discrimination, and risk for poverty dealt with?
Refer to the definitions of philosophy and the tenets of the philosophy of social work in the course overview. Please include references.