I need help with a Social Science question. All explanations and answers will be used to help me learn.
After reading chapter 15, consider and answer the following:
- Do you think Dr. Cherlin’s assertion that remarried/stepfamilies are an “incomplete institution” because they lack social scripts that would assist the family in coming together and assuming roles and responsibilities is still relevant and carries a measure of truth even decades after he made this observation and why?
- As you read over the chapter and reviewed relevant course materials, what were some of the main issues or challenges that stood out to you concerning stepfamily dynamics?
- When the chapter addressed stereotypes and stigmas, what is your perspective–what do you think shapes our views of step-families?
Moreover, based on what we learned from the chapter and even your own experiences and observations…
- What do you think would help stepfamilies as they form a new family system (e.g., identity, communication, the formation process, roles, etc.)?
- Furthermore, what suggestions would you propose that would assist us as a society in helping stepfamilies? Do not hesitate to speak from personal experience.