1. Each post should attempt to move the conversation forward. Avoid responses that are limited to “I agree” or “Great idea,” etc. If you agree (or disagree) with a posting, explain why by supporting your statement with concepts from the readings using citations and references and/or by bringing in a related example or experience.
2. Scholarly sources must be used in each post. Personal experience and opinion are valuable, but they become increasingly meaningful with support from scholarly research. Please be sure to consult and reference scholarly sources such as books (academic books from publishers such as Sage or Oxford University Press are good sources) and peer-reviewed research found in journals.
3. When referencing a source, please be sure to paraphrase and cite the reference in APA format. Direct quotes should be avoided when possible. If direct quotes are used, they must be cited appropriately using correct APA style, and the quote should be explained in your own words. Direct quoting can be seen as a weakness in academic writing and should be used sparingly, if at all.
4. Writing should be polished. Be cautious to avoid grammatical and spelling errors.
5. APA format for all in-text citations and references is required.
The landscape of birth in the United States is dismal in comparison with other countries in the world. The US rate for maternal mortality is the highest rate of all industrialized countries in the world. Discuss your perspective on why the rates of birth complications and maternal and infant mortality are so high. Also present one possible solution to reducing these rates of risk and death. In order to answer this question effectively, you need to view the TED Talk How racism harms pregnant women – and what can help and examine other resources suggested here. You should also consult at least one peer-reviewed journal article and include, and appropriately cite, that work in your discussion posts.
1. YOUR DISCUSSION POST SHOULD BE A MINIMUM OF TWO PARAGRAGHS
2. APA FORMAT
3. PEER REVIEWED SOURCES
4. CHAPTER 1-4 OF TEXT BOOK
Sources to Consider:
Supplemental lecture on Reproduction and Childbirth
Film: The Business of Being Born