I need help with a Biology question. All explanations and answers will be used to help me learn.
Please answer the following questions as completely as possible, using full sentences. You can return to this assignment at any point until it is due. The questions are based on the assigned lab, so please work on this task as you read through the material in the lab manual. Your submission for this assignment will be the uploaded images of your handwritten work that you did in your composition book. All responses must be written or drawn by hand in your composition book. The information in your composition book should be input and made accessible to the reader as an illustrated log of your knowledge.
- What is taxonomy? State the purpose of taxonomy and provide a 2 or 3-sentence explanation of how the sub-discipline developed. Who is Linnaeus?
- Write 5 or 6 sentences (or create a labeled diagram) outlining the similarities between Evolutionary Taxonomy and Cladistic Taxonomy.
- Write 5 or 6 sentences (or create a labeled diagram) outlining the differences between Evolutionary Taxonomy and Cladistic Taxonomy.
- Look at the simplified evolutionary tree in Figure 1 of the lab and answer the following questions:
- Which plant groups have vascular tissue?
- Which plant groups have spores?
- Which plant groups have seeds?
- Which plant groups have flowers?
- Think about whether mosses have vascular tissue or not. Given your knowledge of this, why does a moss plant stay small and close to the ground?
- Both a seed and a spore land on the ground, but the leaves on the ground prevent them from contacting the soil. The seed grows into a plant, while the spore perishes. Explain why.
- Cycads and conifers have seeds, but do not produce flowers to attract pollinators. Still, pollen must be transferred in order for fertilization to take place, and for seeds to develop. List and describe some ways that pollination can occur in these plants.