I’m studying for my English class and don’t understand how to answer this. Can you help me study?
ENGL 1711 16
Reading Response Assignment 1
Must be uploaded to the appropriate folder on D2L/Brightspace
by 10:00 p.m. on Wednesday, September 2
1.Read “An Inconvenient Food:the Connection Between Meat and Global Warming” by Marisa Miller Wolfson, located on D2L/Brightspace under “Materials,” “Content,” and “Additional Readings.Also read “Eating Meat for the Environment” by Lisa M. Hamilton, located on pp. 546 – 548 of our Reflections textbook.Be sure to read the articles more than once and to use your Active Reading skills.
2.Write a one-page (or so) typed, double-spaced response to the questions below.Be sure to follow the formatting requirements that are stated in the Course Syllabus.As a reminder, here are key points for formatting and completing your Reading Response assignments:
- Use Times New Roman, 12-point font.Email Kelly if you aren’t sure how to change the font in your word processing program.
- Use 1-inch margins on all four sides of the page.
- Single-space the information in the top, left-hand corner of the page (i.e., your name, my name, the course name, and etc.—see the Syllabus for more details).
- Double-space the body of the assignment.
- Do NOT include the questions in your Reading Response paper.Simply use the appropriate letters below (a., b., c, and so on) to label your paragraphs.
- Start a new paragraph for each new question that you answer.
- Answer all questions in complete sentences and paragraphs.
Study the Grading Rubric for Reading Responses before completing this assignment.
a. According to Wolfson, what kind of diet can people adopt that would most help the planet?How might this diet help slow global warming?
b. Which greenhouse gases does Wolfson state are more harmful to the planet than CO2 (carbon dioxide)?How does growing animals for food produce these mare harmful gases?
c.What do you think is the most interesting or surprising point in Wolfson’s article?Explain.
d. What is Hamilton’s main thesis?Where is this thesis located in the article?Is the placement of Hamilton’s thesis statement effective for helping readers to understand her overall argument?Why, or why not?
e. Describe who you think is Hamilton’s intended audience.For whom do you think she is writing this article?Explain.