For this discussion, we are delving into the topic of how corporations and businesses are tackling issues involving the environment and sustainability. For week 3, please respond with your initial responses. For the rest of week 3 and for week 4, please provide several substantive responses to your classmates in this discussion forum.
CORPORATE ENVIRONMENTAL STEWARDSHIP
Directions – Please choose a category of corporations/entities below. For only one category of entities, compare and contrast each entity’s “advertised” corporate environmental page(s), note that these pages may also be referred to as ‘corporate sustainability’ in some cases. Please note the varying degree of environmental stewardship that entities in the same industry undertake.
For your initial response, please offer a brief comparison of each of the entities in your chosen group(Oil, Retailers, Universities, Food Establishments, or Airlines). You may also focus on one entity to compare to with the other two in the same group. Is there something about one or more entity that you liked? Were there any major differences from one entity to another? What do you think could be added or focused on more prominently? You only need to refer to the pages provided here for your responses, but if you wish, you may use further sources in your research/responses regarding these entities, such as videos and news articles. For your follow-up responses to your classmates, please comment on their analysis of their chosen groups and use the opportunity to further the academic discussion regarding this topic.
- ExxonMobil – United States : http://corporate.exxonmobil.com/en/environment/environmental-performance (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site.
- Saudi Aramco – Saudi Arabia: http://www.saudiaramco.com/en/home/citizenship/environmental-stewardship.html (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site.
- China National Petroleum Corporation – China: http://www.cnpc.com.cn/en/environment/environ_index.shtml (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site.
- Walmart – United States: http://corporate.walmart.com/global-responsibility/sustainability/ (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site.
- Target – United States: https://corporate.target.com/corporate-responsibility/sustainability (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site.
- Tesco Ireland – Ireland:Links to an external site.
- Columbia University – USA (Private) http://environment.columbia.edu/ (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site.
- Stratford University – (Private) https://www.stratford.edu/sites/default/files/2016%20Benefit%20Corp%20Annual%20Report.pdf
- University System of Maryland (Public State Institution) http://www.usmd.edu/usm/sustainability/
- McDonalds – http://corporate.mcdonalds.com/mcd/sustainability.html (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site.
- Starbucks – http://www.starbucks.com/responsibility/environment (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site.
- IHOP – http://www.ihop.com/about-ihop/social-responsibility-program/environment (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site.
- Virgin Atlantic – United Kingdom: http://www.virgin-atlantic.com/us/en/footer/sustainability.html
- United Airlines – United States: https://www.united.com/web/en-US/content/company/globalcitizenship/environment.aspx (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site.
- ANA- Japan: https://www.ana.co.jp/group/en/csr/environment/ (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site