Unit 4 Assignment Theory Evaluation Paper
The purpose of the Theory Evaluation Paper is to help you critically evaluate a middle-range nursing theory. This assignment will be completed using the three stages of the theory evaluation process: Theory Description, Theory Analysis, and Theory Evaluation.
- Select a Middle-Range Nursing Theory- Select one specific middle-range nursing theory from your textbook that best suits your area of practice. (Ex. Pender’s Health Promotion Model, Kolcaba’s Comfort Theory, Beck’s Postpartum Depression Theory, etc.)
- Introductory paragraph Capture the reader’s attention (ex. Grabbing statistics) and discuss the rationale for selecting the specific nursing theory for your area of nursing over other nursing theories (Do not write in first person; Include a purpose/thesis statement of what you will describe in the paper as the last sentence of the introductory paragraph.) Next, begin the Body of Paper.
- Theory Description (Level 1 Header)
- Purpose (Level 2 Header); (Designate as Descriptive, Explanatory, Predictive, or Prescriptive; Include Scope-middle-range)
- Concepts (Level 2 Header); (Introduce and list main concepts)
- Definitions (Level 2 Header); (Define concepts and other important aspects)
- Relationship (Level 2 Header); (Describe relationship among concepts)
- Structure (Level 2 Header); (Describe; Is there a diagram of structure?)
- Assumptions (Level 2 Header); (beliefs, propositions of the theory)
5. Theory Analysis (Level 1 Header)
- Theory’s Origin (Level 2 Header); (historical creation and evolution of theory)
- Unique Focus (Level 2 Header); (distinctive views)
- Content (Level 2 Header); (include definitions of metaparadigm concepts of person, environment, health, and nursing)
6. Theory Evaluation (Level 1 Header)
- Significance (Level 2 Header); (usefulness, social significance, cultural significance)
- Comprehensiveness (Level 2 Header); (of the content, thoroughness, utility)
- Logical Congruence (Level 2 Header); (consistency and clarity of theory; consistent use of concepts throughout the literature)
- Credibility (Level 2 Header); (legitimacy, empirical support through research)
- Contribution to Nursing (Level 2 Header); (usefulness to nursing practice, education, and research)
7. Conclusion (Level 1 Header) Conclusion paragraph with concluding statements to summarize the content and re-state or re-phrase the purpose/thesis statement.