After completion of Assignment two students will able to understand the following LOs:
LO3: To demonstrate a thorough understanding of an HR Strategic planning which includes effective job analysis, recruitment and selection strategies.
- LO4: To have the ability to deliver and communicate HR policies messages in coherent and professional manner.
Read the case given and answer the questions:
Fahad was a Sales Manager for Industrial Products Company in City branch. A week ago, he was promoted and shifted to Head Office as Deputy Manager – Product Management for a division of products which he was not very familiar with. Three days ago, the company VP – Mr. Salim, convened a meeting of all Product Managers. Fahad’s new boss (Product Manager Bandar) was not able to attend due to some other preoccupation. Hence, the Marketing Director, Saad – asked Fahad to attend the meeting as this would give him an exposure into his new role.
At the beginning of the meeting, Saad introduced Fahad very briefly to the VP. The meeting started with an address from the VP and soon it got into a series of questions from him to every Product Manager. Salim, of course, was pretty thorough with every single product of the company and he was known to be pushy and a blunt veteran in the field. Most of the Product Managers were very clear of Salim’s ways of working and had thoroughly prepared for the meeting and were giving to the point answers. Salim then started with Fahad.
- Fahad being new to the product, was quite confused and fared miserably. Saad immediately understood that Salim had possibly failed to remember that Fahad was new to the job. He thought of interrupting Salim’s questioning and giving a discrete reminder that Fahad was new. But by that time, Salim who was pretty upset with the lack of preparation by Fahad made a public statement “Gentlemen, you are witnessing here an example of sloppy work and this can’t be excused”.
Now Saad was in two minds – should he interrupt Salim and tell him that Fahad is new in that position OR should he wait till the end of the meeting and tell Salim privately. Saad chose the second option. Fahad was visibly angry at the treatment meted out by Salim but he also chose to keep mum. Salim quickly closed the meeting saying that he found in general, lack of planning in the department and asked Saad to stay back in the room for further discussions. Before Saad could give any explanation on Fahad, Salim asked him “Tell me openly, Saad, was I too rough with that boy?” Saad said “Yes, you were. In fact, I was about to remind you that Fahad is new to the job”. Salim explained that the fact that Fahad was new to the job didn’t quite register with him during the meeting. Salim admitted that he had made a mistake and asked his secretary to get Fahad report to the room immediately.
A perplexed and uneasy Fahad reported to Salim’s room after few minutes.
Salim looking Fahad straight into his eyes said “I have done something which I should have never even thought of and I want to apologize to you. It is my mistake that I did not recollect that you were new to the job when I was questioning you”.
Fahad was left speechless.
Salim continued “I would like to state few things clearly to you. Your job is to make sure that people like me and your bosses do not make stupid decisions. We have good confidence in your abilities and that is why we have brought you to the Head Office. For everybody, time is required for learning. I will expect you to know all the nuances of your product in three months’ time. Until then you have my complete confidence”.
Salim closed the conversation with a big reassuring handshake with Fahad.
Assignment Questions:Marks: 05
1. If you were in Fahad’s place, how would you to respond to Salim’s apology? (1.5 mark)
2. Would you employ Salim in your company? (0.5 mark)
3. As an HR professional, how would you define the character of Salim – bullying but later regretting? Does his attitude need to be corrected? (1.5 mark)
4. Would you be happy to have Salim/Saad as your boss? (1.5mark)