Observation and Checklist
Worth up to 55 points
OPEN DATE: MONDAY, Nov. 15th
CLOSED DATE: TUESDAY, Nov. 30th
DUE DATE: TUESDAY, Nov. 30th
To observe the physical environment of an early childhood program and gain insight into aspects that make-up a developmentally appropriate program for young children.
Child Care Video
- Watch the assigned video.
- Take detailed handwritten notes as you watch the video. Do not type your notes.
Observation Checklist and Comment Section
Type of Program:
Age Group of Children:
Mark an “X” next to either of the following when completing this section.
N/O = Not Observed
Y = yes
N = no
The Learning Philosophy
- The activities are mostly child-centered. ___Y ___N ___N/O
- There are many opportunities for creative expression and divergent thinking. ___Y ___N ___N/O
Play and Learning
- Children have maximum opportunities to socialize with their peers. ___Y ___N ___N/O
- There is a variety of activities/materials. ___Y ___N ___N/O
- Activities are mostly academic-based. ___Y ___N ___N/O
- Free choice is common. ___Y ___N ___N/O
The Physical Environment
- The room is organized and neat. ___Y ___N ___N/O
- Children have space to move around. ___Y ___N ___N/O
- There is a variety of learning centers. ___Y ___N ___N/O
Health, Safety, and Nutrition
- Children are offered healthy foods. ___Y ___N ___N/O
- Teachers promote healthy habits. ___Y ___N___N/O
- The environment is clean/hygienic. ___Y ___N___N/O
Comments and Observations:
(Type at least 2 important points you observed from the video)
Please remember to do the following when responding to questions:
- Use your notes to complete the questions below.
- Refer to Chapter 2 and subsequent chapters as well as other/additional resources embedded in the “Modules” page/tab.
- Give specific examples from the video and from the textbook or PowerPoint slides.
- Use complete sentences.
- Type a minimum of one (1) paragraph or 4 sentences for each question.
- Type your opinion while providing at least one (1) supporting statement from the eBook, PowerPoint slides and/or materials embedded into the “Modules” page/tab. (Example, “According to Herr, …etc.)
- Use references.
Examples on how to reference your sources:
- Website Page: Website Name. Title Website Page. URL ( copy and paste)
- Your eBook: Judy Herr, Ed.D. (2020). Working with Young Children, 9th Edition. Goodheart-Willcox.
- PowerPoint Slides: Herr, J. (Date). Title of Chapter [PowerPoint slides]. Child Development Department, LAVC.
- YouTube Video: Last Name, First Name Middle Name Initial. [Username]. (Year, Month Date). Title of video [Video]. Streaming Service. URL
1. In full specific detail, list and describe 2 appropriate practices that you observed in the video:
2. In full specific detail, list and describe 2 inappropriate practices that you observed in the video or 2 practices that can be improved:
3. Is the program you saw in the video purely/authentically play-based or mostly academic? Why or why not?
4. In full specific detail, in general, what is 1 improvement the program can do to provide best practices for young children? What is 1 advantage if families choose to enroll their children in this program?:
5. If this video were to be filmed during the pandemic, what 2 changes, modifications or accommodations would be made indoors and/or outdoors to insure the safety of children and others entering the facility?