I don’t understand this Business question and need help to study.
RESPOND WITH AT LEAST 100 WORDS FOR EACH LESSON QUESTION
Lesson 4 – Suppose a company receives orders by e-mail and has employees read the orders and enter data about each one into a spreadsheet for the billing department and a planning system for the production department. Then the employees generate e-mail messages to each customer to acknowledge each order. Would you describe this process as efficient? Why or why not? Suppose the same company wants to use bots to automate these tasks. How should the company go about planning for this change in inputs?
Lesson 5 – Suppose you work in the HR department of a company that wants to hire production workers as independent contractors. What advice would you give management about this idea?
Lesson 6 – Why does predictive validation provide better information than concurrent validation? Why is this type of validation more difficult?
Lesson 7 – “Alicia!” bellowed David to the company’s HR specialist, “I’ve got a problem, and you’ve got to solve it. I can’t get people in this plant to work together as a team. As if I don’t have enough trouble with our competitors and our past-due accounts, now I have to put up with running a zoo. You’re responsible for seeing that the staff gets along. I want a training proposal on my desk by Monday.” Assume you are Alica.
- Is training the solution to this problem? How can you determine the need for training?
- Summarize how you would conduct a needs assessment.
Lesson 8 – What are the four broad categories of development methods? Why might it be beneficial to combine all these methods into a formal development program?
Lesson 9 – How do each of the following HR functions contribute to high performance:
- Job design
- Recruitment and selection
- Training and development
- Performance management
Lesson 10 – Consider how you might rate the performance of three instructors from whom you have taken a course.
- Would it be harder to rate the instructors’ performance or to rank their performance? Why?
- Write three items to use in rating the instructors—one each to rate them in terms of an attribute, a behavior, and an outcome.
- Which measure do you think is most valid? Most reliable? Why?
Lesson 11 – Consider your current job or a job you recently held.
- Overall, were you satisfied or dissatisfied with that job?
- How did your level of satisfaction or dissatisfaction affect your behavior on the job?
- Is your own experience consistent with this chapter’s models of job withdrawal and job satisfaction?
Lesson 12 – Imagine that you manage human resources for a small business. You have recently prepared a report on the market rate of pay for salespeople, and the company’s owner says the market rate is too high. The company cannot afford this level of pay, and furthermore, paying that much would cause salespeople to earn more than most of the company’s managers. Suggest three possible measures the company might take to help resolve this conflict.
Lesson 13 – With some organizations and jobs, pay is primarily wages or salaries and with others, incentive pay is more important. For each of the following jobs, state whether you think the pay should emphasize base pay (wages and salaries) or incentive pay (bonuses, profit sharing, and so on). Give a reason for each: An accountant at a manufacturing company; A salesperson for a software company; A chief executive officer; A physician in a health clinic.
Lesson 14 – In principle, health insurance would be the most attractive to employees with large medical expenses, and retirement benefits would be most attractive to older employees.
- What else might a company include in its benefits package to appeal to young, healthy employees?
- How might the company structure its benefits so these employees can take advantage of the benefits they care about most?
Lesson 15 – Why do employees join labor unions? Did you ever belong to a labor union? If you did, do you think the union membership benefited you? If not, do you think a union would have benefited you? Why or why not?
Lesson 16 – For an organization with operations in three different countries, what are some advantages and disadvantages of setting compensation according to the labor markets in the countries where the employees live and work? What are some advantages and disadvantages of setting compensation according to the labor market in the company’s headquarters? Would the best arrangement be different for the company’s top executives and its production workers?