Strategic planning is used by businesses and organizations alike to plan for the long term. You will develop a strategic plan for a scenario-based urgent care clinic. The clinic scenario will provide details on the background of the organization, business needs, stakeholders, current challenges, culture, and workplace dynamics. You will complete a 5-part project to demonstrate healthcare management skills and knowledge gained throughout your degree program. It will also focus on the importance of identifying a problem for a health care organization, and the use of management skills needed to assist in resolving those issues.
Your recommendation goals at the conclusion of the project is to answer the following questions:
- What will we do?
- Who will we do it for?
- How will we do what we want to do?
Your final project is due in Module 05. There will be individual assignments along the way. The module they are due is noted in the time line below.
- Ethical Considerations
- Action Plan
You will develop a strategic plan based on the Urgent Care Clinic Organization.
Urgent Care Clinic
Urgent Care Clinic Organization (UCCO) is a group of medical facilities that provide clinic services to the community. UCCO is an important aspect to the healthcare community by providing convenient services when a patient is unable to go to a primary care doctor or hospital. They are used for immediate care attention that may or may not be an emergency situation. Urgent Care Centers provide access to healthcare during the day, as well as nights, weekends, and most holidays.
UCCO was started in 2002 to address medical service needs in the local community. The goal was to minimize the need to seek multiple physicians and provide comprehensive healthcare. It was also the goal to provide services beyond the traditional operating hours of primary care and other doctor offices. UCCO focuses on total wellness that incorporates an integrative approach to optimize quality patient care.
The mission of UCCO is to promote community health. We offer a collaborative approach to enhance healthy lifestyles, with cost effective, quality care. The vision is to be the most trusted multi-specialty organization in the regional area by consistently providing excellent customer service and high quality medical care.
UCCO is made up of 3 facilities with 8 specialties, 14 doctors, 3 directors, and a number of clinical staff and employees. Over 30% of UCCO patients are uninsured without any form of health insurance benefits.
There has been a rapid growth of urgent care in the UCCO area in the past five years, which is fueled by patient demand for convenient, affordable care. Patients are looking for accessible healthcare that provide access to specialty services. Because UCCO was one of the first in the area, there is an advantage to having an established customer base. However, there are some current challenges that both reflect the urgent care community and national trends.
- Growing, over-saturation of urgent care centers in the area
- Messaging that urgent care centers provide only general care services; specialty services not promoted
- Growth in patient volume is driven by demographic trends
- Population of aging patients (over age 65) growing at tremendous rates
- Cost of treatment for the UCCO continues to rise yet patient costs remain the same
- Insurance costs rising uninsured patients numbers rising
- Financial profits for UCCO down by 10% each year, for the past 3 years
- UCCO collections for patient balances are increasing
- Compliance audits reveal issues with patient confidentiality and privacy
- HIPAA training not completed as part of new employee orientation
- Customer satisfaction rates declining
Throughout your project, you will apply transferable skills. Transferable skills are skills that you develop that can be transferred and applied within your chosen career. They are highly valuable and essential for career success. The transferable skills that you will be applying as you complete your project include: Communication, Information Literacy, Critical Thinking, Ethics & Professional Responsibility, Digital Fluency, and Diversity & Teamwork.For more information on each of the six transferable skills see the guides below:
- Digital Fluency: http://guides.rasmussen.edu/digitalfluency
- Ethics and Professional Responsibility: http://guides.rasmussen.edu/ethics
- Communication: http://guides.rasmussen.edu/communication
- Diversity and Teamwork: http://guides.rasmussen.edu/diversity
- Information Literacy: http://guides.rasmussen.edu/informationliteracy
- Critical Thinking: http://guides.rasmussen.edu/criticalthinking
The paper should include all of the elements presented above. There should be an introduction that identifies the healthcare provider selected for the project and a conclusion. The paper must use a minimum of four academically accepted sources that are cited on the References page and referenced in in-text citations in the paper. APA documentation must be used. For more information about APA, visit the Online Library, which is available through the Resources tab.
Each assignment leading up to the final assignment is evaluated and graded independently. Your instructor will provide specific grading criteria for each step of the project prior to its due date.
For Further Questions
If you have further questions throughout this project, please ask your Instructor. Post ideas and questions for your classmates in the Course Chat forum in the Course Material folder of this course.