Gender Analysis (film response)
view the film ‘North country’ 2005 and answer the following questions in an essay form in 1000 words
1. Gender: Gender varies in different times and social contexts. How are the gender roles constructed in these two (or one) contexts (North Country and Miss Potter)? And in what way are the roles of the main characters influenced by the social and biological roles they are expected to conform to?
2. Patriarchy and gender oppression: describe which forms of oppression these women encounter because of the gender hierarchy within the patriarchy they live in. How do they respond to the limitations placed on them by this oppression?
3. Gender relations: analyse in what way the roles of the key men in these contexts dictate how the women’s roles are determined.
4. Challenging gender expectations: What circumstances occur in each context to alter/challenge the expected gender construction? How do men and/or society react in each context to this reconstruction?
5. Recommendations: What advice would you give EVTAC the Eveleth Taconite Mining Company and/or Miss Potter’s mother about the social and political changes needed in their context to support gender equality?