With this assignment you will be able to analyze theory and leadership practices. Currently in education, there is a movement for students with disabilities to be included in the general education classroom with their peers without disabilities. The mandates of IDEA and recent court decisions require learners with disabilities to be educated in the least restrictive environment and receive content that is correlated to individualizes goals designed to ensure adequate progress and achievement. Some advocates argue that the general education classroom is not appropriate for all learners. With appropriate modifications and accommodations, many students with disabilities can be included. As the special education director, it is your responsibility to ensure proper planning and preparation of the environment to best serve students with exceptional needs. This paper will include an analysis of how educators can ensure students with disabilities are educated with evidence-based practices in the least restrictive environment.
Use the following information to ensure successful completion of the assignment:
- Instructors will be using a grading rubric to grade the assignments. It is recommended that learners review the rubric prior to beginning the assignment in order to become familiar with the assignment criteria and expectations for successful completion of the assignment.
- Doctoral learners are required to use APA style for their writing assignments. The APA Style Guide is located in the Student Success Center.
- This assignment requires that at least two additional scholarly research sources related to this topic, and at least one in-text citation from each source be included.
- You are required to submit this assignment to LopesWrite. A link to the LopesWrite technical support articles is located in Class Resources if you need assistance.
Write a paper (1,250-1,500 words) that addresses the concept of labeling students in special education. Do the following in your paper:
- Summarize the theoretical and historical evolution of educational services for students with disabilities. (Benchmarks C11.1: Analyze special education from a theoretical and historical perspective.)
- Analyze the IDEA mandates and current practices for education of students with disabilities in the least restrictive environment. (Benchmarks C11.2: Analyze legal issues in special education.)
- Discuss at least two research-based best practices for including learners with disabilities in the general education classroom. (Benchmarks C11.4: Analyze the role of collaboration as a tool for building relationships within special education)
- Suggest at least three research-based collaboration methods that can be used by special education leaders to ensure successful inclusion of students with disabilities to the maximum extent possible. (Benchmarks C 11.3: Propose models of best practice in special education leadership and administration.)