Food Safety, Technology & Sustainability assignment
- Check out the following website: https://www.fightbac.org/ (Links to an external site.)
- List the four core principles of food safety
- Discuss the core principles that are are common practice in your life. Describe how they are part of your life (details).
- Discuss areas for improvement in your life. (details)
- What is the “danger zone”?
- According to the Center for Disease Control (CDC) these are currently the top five foodborne pathogens in the United States. Select one of the potential foodborne pathogens listed below
- Clostridium perfringens
- Staphylococcus aureus, aka staph.
- *Learn all of the following about your selected pathogen:
- Is it bacteria, fungi, mold, prion, or virus?
- What foods and situations are conducive to the proliferation of this pathogen?
- What happens if you develop a foodborne illness from this pathogen? What are the worst-case consequences?
- How long does it take to get sick from this pathogen?
- How can foodborne illness from this pathogen be prevented
- Write or speak in your own words and cite (or refer to) your sources.
- Required sources for your research must include:
- Human Nutrition (Links to an external site.) textbook (chapter 17)
- At least two (2) sources from the online Miramar library (Gale encyclopedias are wonderful resources – there are some specific for nutrition and foodborne pathogens
- Write in your own words and cite your sources and format your citations using MLA or APA style. Check out the Miramar Writing Lab or the Purdue writing lab online for guidance with citations https://owl.purdue.edu/owl/research_and_citation/resources.html (Links to an external site.)
- What to submit to me
Create a food safety fact-sheet, pamphlet, slide show, video, booklet, or write a paper. Your creativity is welcome and I am open to ideas for how you share what you have learned.
Cite your sources using MLA or APA format.
Watch the following video then discuss three (3) specific things you learned. What stood out about those three things? Keep in mind the historical impact of this video. This video is from the 1990s and strongly influenced food safety regulations today.
You may submit a written or AV file for this part of the assignment. If your AV file is in Canvas Studio, please label it with your name and “Food Safety” so I can easily find it. Let me know to go there to watch and/or listen (you can do audio only in Canvas Studio).
Sustainable food systems and food equity are important issues in the world, California, and in San Diego. For this part, go to San Diego Food System Alliance. (Links to an external site.)and read, watch, and learn about and, in your own words, share what you learn about three (3) of the following topics:
- carbon farming
- good food purchasing
- reducing barriers to farming
- sustainable local seafood
- urban agriculture
- wasted food prevention and recovery
- San Diego County food vision 2030