Begin by reviewing IP 1 from Week 1 to ensure that you understand the entire project.
Research what a presentence investigation is, what purpose it serves during the sentencing process, and how it is used to inform the sentencing process. Then, address the following in a Word document that is 750–900 words in length:
- What is a presentence investigation report, and what kind of information does this document typically contain?
- Why is this information collected, and how does this information relate to an offender’s sentencing?
- What relationship exists, if any, between the presentence investigation and other aids to sentencing, such as sentencing guidelines and a victim impact statement?
- Compile your responses to the above questions into your final Word document.
- The content of the paper must be 750–900 words in length.
- You must reference at least 3 outside sources, and all sources must be referenced using APA style.
Despite your best efforts to guide John McMahon away from drugs and crime, he has incurred a new arrest. Specifically, he was arrested in the 800 block of Greenview Drive in Lynchburg, Virginia after plainclothes officers observed him make what appeared to be a drug transaction. He was cooperative during the arrest, and a search of his person turned up 3.5 grams of a white powdery substance that field tested positive for cocaine. Mr. McMahon was read his rights and transported to the Blue Ridge Regional Jail. During questioning, he admitted that he had purchased the drugs for his own personal use moments before his arrest. In a Word document of 1,000–1,200 words, create a presentence investigation report for Mr. McMahon that includes all of the information that would ordinarily be included in such a document. You may find it useful to create section headers in your document to separate the different elements of the report. Feel free to make up information that is not specifically stated, provided that doing so is not likely to impact the sentencing outcome. You will want to reference and include material taken from the Phase 2 individual projects and the Phase 3 individual project.
For the purposes of this assignment, assume the following:
- Mr. McMahon’s underlying charge of possession of cocaine (the one he was placed on probation for in the first place) represents his only prior conviction.
- Mr. McMahon’s parents were married at the time of his birth and remain so to the present day.
- Mr. McMahon has 2 younger brothers, both of whom still live with his parents.
- Mr. McMahon is in good overall physical health and has no history of mental health or substance abuse treatment aside from any that was ordered in the context of his current probation case.
Click on Student Expectations to view the expectations for this assignment.
For assistance with your assignment, please use your text, Web resources, and all course materials.