I’m trying to learn for my Philosophy class and I’m stuck. Can you help?
1) Answer any THREE of the questions listed below. The three question response posts must have a minimum of 200 words each and must directly quote and properly cite (using MLA format) from the assigned textbook readings. I expect substantive and scholarly posts which evince an understanding of the complex chapter readings. Failure to meet the above criteria will result in a point deduction.
2) Post TWO substantive responses to other students’ posts. The response posts must be between 100 and 150 words each.
PLEASE MAKE SURE TO SUBMIT5 SEPARATE POSTS: DO NOT ANSWER MORE THAN ONE QUESTION IN A SINGLE POST.
QUESTIONS: choose THREE ONLY
Ch. 9: Nietzsche:
1) Briefly explain Nietzsche’s claim that “every elevation of the type ‘man’ has hitherto been the work of an aristocratic society and so it will always be”? Do you agree? Why or why not?
2) What, according to Nietzsche, is the connection between resentment and slave morality? Can you think of any corroborating examples of this drawn from your own experiences or observations?
Ch. 10: Sartre:
3) What exactly does Sartre mean when he says that “If God does not exist, then everything is permitted”? Do you agree with him? Why or why not?
Chapter 11: Theodore Dalrymple:
4) According to Dalrymple, what is the fundamental difference between “depression” and “unhappiness”? Are you persuaded by his argument? Why or why not?
5) Throughout his writings, Dalrymple contrasts what we might call the “tragic view” of human life (held by writers like Turgenev, among others) and the “utopian view” (held by writers like Marx and Ibsen). Briefly describe the difference between the two, and explain which of the two you find the more plausible and why.