I’m working on a Health & Medical exercise and need support.
Fallon, L. F. & McConnell, C. R. (2014).
Human resource management in health care: Principles and practices (2nd ed.). Burlington, MA: Jones & Bartlett Learning.
- Chapter 7, “Employee Training” (pp. 129-141)
- Chapter 9, “Performance Appraisals” (pp. 161-187)
- Chapter 14, “Managers and Employee Problems” (pp. 269-295)
Mackenzie, L., Wehner, J., & Correll, S. (2019). Why most performance evaluations are biased, and how to fix them.
Harvard Business Review, 2–6.
Main, B. (1997). Set & reach goals the ‘smart’ way.
ID, 33(12), 29.
Smith, T. M. (2018, April). How to train employees to have difficult conversations [Video file]. Retrieved from
Note: The approximate length of this video is 8 minutes.
Zoho People. (2018, November 14).
Performance management [Video file]. Retrieved from
Note: The approximate length of this video is 2 minutes.
Discussion: Issues of Performance and Behavior
Assessing employees’ achievements and shortcomings—performance evaluation—can be a daunting task for managers and HR professionals. In addition to acknowledging and applauding achievements, performance evaluations force managers and HR professionals to confront employees about problems and issues. This requires a great deal of assertiveness, empathy, and tact but is ultimately very beneficial to the success of individual employees and organizations as a whole. Conducting performance assessments, communicating their results, and addressing problems and acknowledging successes helps employees meet expectations and take responsibility for self-improvement.
In this Discussion, you will examine three scenarios that will allow you to describe problems of performance and behavior. You also will assess the actions of the characters in the scenarios. Finally, you will formulate an HR strategy to address each case.
To prepare for this Discussion:
- Review Chapter 9 of the Fallon and McConnell textbook. Focus on how performance appraisals are essential to the success and progress of employees within an organization.
- Review Chapter 14 of the Fallon and McConnell textbook. Focus on the methods on handling employee problems of performance and problems of behavior.
- Consider the following case study:
- Samuel Johnson subtly makes women feel uncomfortable when he moves around the office without overtly doing anything that would be considered sexual harassment. The behavior has increased in the last 3 weeks and has now carried over onto his female clients. This is affecting the work environment.
By Day 4
Post a comprehensive response to the following:
- Explain the behavior issues for your case.
- Explain the performance issues related to your case.
- Recommend an HR strategy to address the behavioral issues.
- Recommend an HR strategy to address the performance issues.
Read a selection of your colleagues’ postings.
By Day 6
Respond to at least two of your colleagues’ postings, one colleague for each of the cases you did not focus on in your initial post, in one or more of the following ways:
- Identify any potential behavioral or performance issues that your colleague did not include in their post.
- Recommend an additional HR strategy to address the behavioral issues cited by your colleague.
- Recommend an HR strategy to address the performance issues cited by your colleague.
Return to this Discussion in a few days to read the responses to your initial posting. Note what you have learned and/or any insights you have gained as a result of your colleagues’ comments. You are not required to post these final insights.
Submission and Grading Information
To access your rubric:
Week 5 Discussion Rubric
Post by Day 4 and Respond by Day 6
To participate in this Discussion:
Week 5 Discussion
Assignment: SMART Goals
Performance evaluations are not the only way to achieve employee and organizational development (Lussier & Hendon, 2018). A more proactive way of improving performance is to identify and work toward specific goals. One of the most popular methods of targeting goals is the SMART method, a mnemonic for the elements of effective goal setting. This method mandates the identification of goals that are specific, measurable, achievable, realistic, and time bound (Stahl, 2018).
In this Assignment, you will select a job position within a healthcare institution. You will develop SMART goals for the job position of your choice. You also will describe strategies for professional development for your selected job position.
Lussier, R. N. & Hendon, J. R. (2018). Human resource management: Functions, applications, and skill development. (3rd ed.). Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Publications.
Stahl, A. (2018, October 15). Here’s how to achieve your goals. Forbes. Retrieved from https://www.forbes.com/sites/ashleystahl/2018/10/1… – 2ce1f86e37c8
To prepare for this Assignment:
- Review the Learning Resources on SMART Goals. Focus on how SMART Goals are effective in a diverse array of goal-setting situations.
- Review the job descriptions you identified for the Week 2 Discussion or Assignment, or you may find a different job description published on the website of one of your local healthcare organizations or posted on Indeed.com or Monster.com. Select a position you believe might enhance patient care and quality and increase organizational productivity.
To complete this Assignment:
Create a 1-page handout HR could share with employees that addresses the following:
- Part 1: Tips for Writing SMART Goals
- Define SMART goals in your own words.
- Explain why it is important to write goals in the SMART format.
- Recommend strategies for writing SMART goals. Make sure to address each required characteristic of SMART goals
Write a 1-page paper in which you address the following:
- Part 2: Writing SMART Goals
- Identify and describe the healthcare job you selected.
- Explain the reasons why you chose this healthcare job.
- Develop one performance goal relating to enhancing patient quality of care for this healthcare job using the SMART framework. Explain how attaining this goal would enhance patient quality of care.
- Develop one performance goal relating to improving organizational productivity for this healthcare job using the SMART framework. Explain how attaining this goal would enhance organizational productivity.
Support your work with specific citations from this week’s Learning Resources and additional scholarly sources as appropriate.
By Day 6 of Week 5
Submit your Assignment.
Submission and Grading Information
To access your rubric:
Week 5 Assignment Rubric
Check Your Assignment Draft for Authenticity
To check your Assignment draft for authenticity:
Submit your Week 5 Assignment draft and review the originality report.
Submit Your Assignment by Day 6
To submit this Assignment:
Week 5 Assignment