Police Use of Force
The police in America are the only governmentally sponsored entity with the authority and power to take the life of a citizen. Due to this tremendous power, scholars and community activists have, over the years, expounded on the need for tight regulation and control over police and their use of force against citizens. For this assignment, you will examine and analyze the various ways police use of force has been litigated and controlled. You will select one court case from the list below and examine the ways the court attempted to place constraints on the police use of physical force when confronting citizens. First, select one of the following cases:
- Tennessee v. Garner (1985)
- Graham v. Connor (1989)
- Johnson v. Glick (1973)
In your paper
- Provide details of the case selected.
- Describe the events and the players’ various roles.
- Describe the outcome.
- Provide an analysis of the long-term result or consequences of the outcome for police.
- Explain any operational policies or procedures that changed as a result of the case.
- Explain what the outcome means for ordinary citizens should they encounter officers during their daily routine.
Your paper must be 500 to 750 words in length (excluding title and references pages) and formatted according to APA style as outlined in the Ashford Writing Center (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site.. Cite your sources in text and include them on the references page. For information regarding APA samples and tutorials, visit the Ashford Writing Center (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site.. The information sources necessary to complete this assignment can be found in Chapter 7 of the Peak (2015) text.
Carefully review the Grading Rubric (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site.for the criteria that will be used to evaluate your journal entries.