CR401 – Ethics & Discretion in Criminal Justice
Due: 11:59 pm saturday.
I. Research on local policies regarding gratuities. Describe and give an explanation of police corruption and then discuss potential solutions (25 points)
II. Indicate which of the following –if offered freely with no apparent exchange expected – are ethically acceptable. (25 points)
Free Coffee only on duty on or off duty
Free gum only on duty on or off duty
Hal-price meal only on duty on or off duty
Free meal only on duty on or off duty
Free dry cleaning only on duty on or off duty
Free admissions to clubs n/a on or off duty
Free lottery tickets only on duty on or off duty
Expensive merchandise only on duty on or off duty
III. Short Essay: You are a rookie police officer on your patrol. The older, experienced office tells you that the restaurant on the corner likes to have you guys around, so they always give free meals. Your partner orders steak, potatoes, and all trimmings. What are you going to do? What if it were just coffee at a convenience store? What if the owner refused to take your money at the cash register? (20 points)
Ethical judgment: Depend on the department’s rulebook. For the purposes of analysis, assume there is a policy prohibiting gratutities.
IV. APPLY THE MORAL CHECKLIST TO THE DILEMMA (25points)
The moral checklist presents a structured way to analyze a difficult moral case. You are asked to apply this checklist to the case study. You should present each part of this checklist as a heading followed by your explanation.
1. Determine all of the facts the case. Who are the interested parties and what are their relationships? Carefully identify who has a stake in the decision. Often there are more parties whose interests should be considered than is immediately obvious. What is at stake for each? Look at the relationships between the parties. Do these relationships bring special expectations or obligations?
2. Identify the moral concerns/values or the moral issue. Important clues include conflicts between two or more values or ideals. Is there a question of trust? fairness? loyalty? harm?, etc. (There is something uncomfortable, what is it? What are the conflicting concerns?)
3. Attempt to rank the importance of these concerns or values from lowest in importance to highest in importance for each party involved. Weight the benefits and burdens.
4. What are your options for resolution? What decisions can be made? (elaborate)
5. Make a decision and your justification for your decision.
The paper shall be in APA format, typed in 12 font Times New Roman, and shall not have been turned in previously to any other instructor for any other course or assignment. Paper length varies, but a minimum of 2-3 pages in length, not to include the cover page or bibliography. It is to be submitted as a Microsoft Word Document.