At the veteran’s center you are assigned to counsel an adult client who has been diagnosed with PTSD. He is a 34-year-old veteran who is starting to have flashbacks and is afraid of being identified as mentally ill. He also has problems with his abusive father and has issues with authority.
Bring this case to the next staff meeting to discuss with the team. Explaining your initial counseling plan, initial concerns, and back-up plans for this patient, including 1-3 sentence responses to all of the following:
- a description of at least 1 type of therapy you could use to assist this client effectively
- an explanation of how you would utilize the chosen therapy
- a description of at least 2 benefits and 1 drawback it provides
- how you might convince him to try therapy
- how you plan to build a therapeutic alliance with this client Are there potential transference issues? If yes, explain what it might be and why
- What you can do to guard yourself against potential projective identification? If yes explain what it might be and why
- If so, give one way you might handle this
- Do you feel that you may have potential counter-transference issues with this client? If so, name one and how you might handle this if it comes into play.