RELI 100 The Human Religious Experience
• • Each question should be about 1.25 double-space pages and the total page limit for the
entire assignment is 5 pages. Follow the page limit strictly.
• • Standard margin 1” font size 12
• • Mention the question number in your assignment (No need to state the question again)
• • Make sure you do not repeat the same story or example in all questions
• • Read the questions carefully prior to writing the answer. Present the ideas clearly and
in a thoughtful manner
• Use text book readings as much as possible, then class lectures and other sources
1.) Ninian Smart, Worldviews Crosscultural Explorations of Human Beliefs, Edition 3
2.) Huston Smith, The World’s Religions, 2009
• • Short citation within the text in parenthesis (author’s last name, page #). List all the
references on page 6 (MLA style).
• • Please edit your assignment prior to submission
• • Grading is based on content, presentation of ideas and clarity of expression
Answer any four questions from the list below:
1. Discuss the concepts of Brahman (Absolute) and Atman (individual self/soul) as explained in
the Upanishads of Hinduism. Explain the relationship between the Brahman and the concept of
2. What are the Four Noble Truths? Explain the way these BuIDhist teachings speak of the rise
and the end of suffering (dukkha) and the eightfold path help to cultivate an ethical lifestyle as
well as to achieve nirvana/enlightenment (explain 8 principles)
3. Discuss briefly the four paths to the realization of God in Hinduism. Explain some major
distinctive features of each path (one paragraph for each path).
4. Compare and contrast the major teachings and practices of the Theravada and the Mahayana
BuIDhist Schools. Use examples when you explain similarities and differences.
5. What are some of the core teachings of classical Confucianism? Explain the way these
teachings emphasize the moral/ethical dimensions of Confucianism.
6. What are the three approaches to achieve the power (Te) in Taoism? Explain some core
features each approach with examples.
7. What comes to your mind when you think of three major figures: BuIDha, Confucius and Lao
Tzu? What is the contribution of these philosophers to their respective cultures and beyond?
Explain succinctly (do not repeat the same information from other questions).