Born or Made That Way? Jason Case Study
In this assignment, you will be using the DSM-5 (link given in the resources), which provides descriptions of psychiatric conditions, including criteria for determining whether a condition exists and treatment recommendations, as well as other details.
Note: You may review the document Accessing the DSM-5 and the Mental Measurement Yearbook (given in the resources) to understand how to access the DSM-5 in the Capella library.
For this assignment, you will review the media Jason’s Case Study as a focus, as you start to develop you own premises of how you would explain criminal behavior.
After reviewing the media Jason’s Case Study, access the DSM-5 and read about the following:
· Affective disorder. For example, depressive and bipolar disorders. Is Jason’s difficulty self-regulating, a biological condition, or a learned behavior?
· Substance abuse. For example, is Jason’s drug use indicative of a disease model or is it socially influenced?
· Anxiety. For example, is Jason dealing with a neurochemical or hormonal imbalance, or is it a learned behavior or a behavior modification, or is there some secondary gain for Jason?
· Psychotic disorders. For example, does Jason experience thought distortion or difficulty with reality testing?
In your paper:
· Analyze the case study in terms of the psychology described in the DSM-5. Note: Choose only one of the disorders listed that you think is most closely related to Jason’s case. Through your analysis of Jason’s case study and your reading in the DSM-5, describe how he meets the criteria of the disorder you have chosen. Remember, a disorder is based on time, duration, intensity, and the degree to which it interferes with everyday functioning (social, interpersonal, work, and patterns in relationships) and not just the observable behavior.
· Determine social factors (for example, parenting styles, rejection by loved ones, lack of limits, et cetera) that impact Jason’s behavior (for example, his bullying, lying, and drug use).
· Describe what you have found in the case that is relevant for a court case for either the defense or the prosecution. Without considering establishing competency or sanity, reflect on the implications of what you have seen in the DSM-5 and the case study in terms of criminal justice for Jason.
· APA formatting:. 3-4 typed, double-spaced pages, not including the title page or the references page.
References: A minimum of three references.