ASSIGNMENT MUST BE 250 WORDS . ATTACHED ARE ARTICLES TO ASSIST WITH ASSIGNMENT.
TOPIC: UNSOLVED COLD CASES
Prior to beginning work on this discussion, please review the following:
- The articles:
- Policies and Practices in Cold Cases: An Exploratory Study
- The Impact of DNA Exonerations on the Criminal Justice System
- Cold Cases: Resources for Agencies, Resolution for Families (Links to an external site.)
- The special report Using DNA to Solve Cold Cases (Links to an external site.)
- The videos:
- IBIS and a Cold Case (video above)
- Just Wrong: The Aftermath of Wrongful Convictions (Links to an external site.)
- Power of Forensic DNA & Technology in Cold Case Prosecutions – Justice Journal Episode 1 (Links to an external site.)
- The web pages:
- Cold Case Initiative (Links to an external site.)
- Cold Case Investigations and Forensic DNA (Links to an external site.)
Significant advances in forensic science and technology have been made in just the last 50 to 75 years. The two areas most significantly affected by these advances, which have allowed investigators to reevaluate old cases with new tools, are cold case investigations (i.e., usually homicide or sexual assault) and exonerating individuals wrongfully convicted.
From the perspective of your assigned topic, evaluate modern science’s potential in reevaluating evidence from historical cases. Provide examples and specific details about what has changed and the impact it has had on the criminal justice system.