Week 2: Project Scope and Charter
This assignment is designed to help students lay the groundwork for their project plans with the help of mentors and professors. The mentor becomes a team member for the project that the student will manage. The student will identify the stakeholders, the project priority, how the measurable goals will be met for a successful project, and who will receive the report of the results of the project. The scope document describes the parameters of the project, including what can and cannot be accomplished and the measurable objectives and outcome measures. The project charter describes and defines the project. When the sponsor signs off on the project, it becomes the document that authorizes the project.
Week 2, you will complete the project scope and charter. Based on the information from the mentor and professor, each student finalizes and completes the project charter and scope documents or statements. The project scope must be approved by your practicum organization. Your mentor should help you obtain approval. Project approval must be received prior to submitting these documents. Appendices are provided for both of these documents above.
This assignment enables the student to meet the following Course Outcomes (COs):
CO 1: Apply leadership skills concepts of project management as a nurse executive in an organizational setting to develop, implement and evaluate successful project plans. (PO 4,5)
CO 2: Using current knowledge, standards of practice, and research from evidence-based literature, synthesize a foundation for the nurse executive role. (PO 3,4)
Due Date: Sunday at 11:59 p.m. MT at the end of Week 2
Students are given the opportunity to request an extension on assignments for emergent situations. Supporting documentation must be submitted to the assigned faculty. If the student’s request is not approved, the assignment is graded and a late penalty is applied as follows:
If the student’s request is approved, the student will be informed of the revised due date. Should the student fail to meet the revised due date, the assignment is graded and a late penalty is applied as follows:
Total Points Possible: 100
- Complete the Project Scope document, including signatures of approval.
- Complete the Project Charter document.
- Documents are attached as appendices to a professional, scholarly paper following the guidelines for writing professional papers found in the Resources tab.
- Grammar, spelling, punctuation, references, and citations must be consistent with formal academic writing and APA format as expressed in the sixth edition of the APA manual.
Preparing the paper
- All aspects of the Project Scope document must be completed, including signatures.
- All aspects of the Project Chart document must be completed.
- Ideas, references, and information from professional sources must be cited correctly using the sixth edition of the APA manual.
- Grammar, spelling, punctuation, references, and citations must be consistent with formal academic writing.