Written Assignment 8: Writing an Evaluation/Argumentative Essay
Write an evaluation/argumentative essay on a topic of your choice. Several possible topics are listed below, but you are free to come up with your own. Develop your evaluation/argument in an essay of about 500 words. If you wish, use statistics, examples, or quotations from sources you find helpful and supportive.
- A review of a book you have read or a movie or television show you have seen.
- An evaluation of a work process with an argument for how to do it more efficiently.
- An evaluation of a course you have taken that includes either an argument for why other students should take it or for how it could be made better.
- An exploration of any controversial issue of interest to you.
Note: This assignment may require some research. If you need information about documenting sources and avoiding plagiarism, consult information in one of the following sites you’ll find by clicking the links below or the icons at right. The third site is devoted to documentation issues.
- General Writing Reference Site. The Writing Center: University of Wisconsin-Madison
- General Writing Reference Site. The Online Writing Lab (OWL) at Purdue
- Research and Documentation Site. Research and Documentation Online (Diana Hacker)