I’m studying for my Writing class and don’t understand how to answer this. Can you help me study?
You depend on many technologies throughout your day that make your modern life possible. In this Assignment, you will look at some of these technologies and the scientific discoveries that made them possible. You will evaluate both the negative and positive impacts of these discoveries. You will also broaden your scope to look at how different cultures with different levels of access to technology approach the same problem – health care.
A. Science in your personal and professional life
Think about your day from the time you wake up to the time that you go to sleep.
- List four technologies that you rely on and would find it difficult to get through your day or night without. Discuss any negative impacts these technologies have on your life, society, and the environment.
- Think about your day from when you wake up to when you go to sleep. Describe one scientific discovery that you think is the most important for making modern life possible.
- List as many negative and positive impacts you can think of that this scientific discovery and the technologies that it allowed to be developed may have. Evaluate and discuss if the positives outweigh the negatives overall, or whether the negatives outweigh the positives.
B. Science and technology in a multicultural world
Many research programs around the world focus on the discovery of cures to ailments from cancer to mental illness. Modern society invests a great deal of money, and time while pushing the boundaries of modern technology to develop new cures, and improve existing treatments.
Review the Assignment Resources.
- Describe one advantage and one disadvantage to the westernized high tech research approach to medical treatment.
- Describe one advantage and one disadvantage to using traditional medicine as an approach to medical treatment.
- Are there benefits to having multicultural approaches to medical treatment? Explain your answer.
- Could these two cultural approaches both be improved by drawing upon the other? Why or why not?
- Discuss any challenges there may be in combining these two different cultural approaches to treatment that have a very different level of reliance on scientific research and technology.