Part 1: Research Three Global Impoverished Regions
Research three global impoverished countries. Use the countries assigned to you in RP1, RP2, and RP3. Even in developed countries, there are issues of poverty and homelessness. Discuss separately your three selected countries and focus on issues, commonalities, or differences you find among these regions. For each of the three regions, address and compare the following:
- What are the significant religious or cultural issues present in that region that are correlated to poverty?
- What is the climate and topography like in each region? Name the variations of the region has multiple topologies. Are there specific climatic conditions that occur and affect their everyday lives? Ex. constant landslides affect the delivery of vegetables to cities.
- Is there a common vernacular architectural style or material for these regions? Explain if there are variations in the regions due to variation in climate or diversity in materials.
- Does the region have access to clean drinking water and sanitation? Name any other issues that are critical and prevalent. For example: lack of out houses (toilets); distance of drinking source from the neighborhoods.
- What are the prominent factors that are poverty-related, socioeconomic issues (access to food, shelter, education, healthcare, etc.) of that region? Is it related to social or political factors? What are the prevalent work opportunities? Is the region engaged in agricultural, manufacturing, etc.?
- Provide two successful case studies applicable to all your countries/regions.
- Use a chart/table to respond to these questions. Make your sites explicit in the table.
After you have highlighted the three countries or places, summarize the major differences and commonalities that allude to poverty issues. This should be around 300-400 words supported by visuals. Present it in an easy to read material.
Research each of these regions and create a list of notes for your answers to the questions above for each region. Include a list of MLA-formatted citations for your research. Review the MLA Guidelines.
Part 2: Poverty Essay and Sketches
Select only one country from the three you researched in Step 1 above.
Complete further research for creating a culture-specific space. You have four choices to choose from:
- Option 1 – Urban Community Skills Center (a place to provide training for acquiring new skills, and network hub for displaced people and donors/volunteers).
- Option 2 – Birthing and Wellness Center for Women (pregnant, physically abused, and emotionally disturbed women among many others.) *This is not an option for those who did the Clinic in Project 3.
- Option 3 – Rehabilitation Center (a transitional space to treat people with substance/drug abuse.)
- Option 4 – Learning Facility for Young Displaced Children
Check other sources for inspiration. Check this week’s online lectures. You may wish to view any of the Case Studies to learn more about what services and projects are needed in impoverished areas around the world and include the information in your research and essay.
Research your selected region’s history, traditions, beliefs, and vernacular architecture. Research the community outreach centers and the types of services that might be needed in low-income or impoverished areas. (Such services and spaces were discussed in this week’s online lectures.)
Based on your research, write 400 essay discussing your observations on how a particular region’s culture, architecture, or location can impact the design of public buildings. Discuss what types of services or spaces you would include in an urban community skills center, birthing center or rehabilitation center, or learning facility in your selected area.
Along with your essay, include at least 7-8 sketches illustrating conceptual designs your choice of center, showing cultural and architectural elements from your selected region. Imagine what should be in the space, what kind of activities are needed, what design elements, etc.
Add the list of MLA-formatted citations to your research.
- Combine all of the parts of Parts 1 and 2 into a single Adobe PDF file (less than 2.5 MB in size). For this project – your format is in 11 x 17 inches – landscape format, 4-6 pages.