Download the Form 10-K for each company.
- The Coca-Cola Company: Form 10-K (Links to an external site.) – Financial statements and notes start on page 60.
- Accounts receivable, page 81
- Inventories, page 82
- Depreciation, page 96
- Goodwill, page 83
- Keurig Dr Pepper Annual Report (Links to an external site.)
- Click on the 2018 Annual Report
- Accounts receivable, page 72
- Inventories, page 72
- Depreciation, page 73
- Goodwill, page 74
- PepsiCo Annual Report (Links to an external site.) – Financial statements and notes start on page 79.
- Accounts receivable, page 124
- Inventories, page 89
- Depreciation, page 95
- Goodwill, page 88
Here is a breakdown of the sections within the body of the assignment (Use paragraph headings to indicate each section):
Provide a brief overview of the three companies (at least two pages). What industry is it in? What are its main products or services? Who are its competitors? Where is the company located?
- Calculate the current ratio, quick ratio, gross profit percentage, inventory turnover, accounts receivable turnover and asset turnover ratios for all three companies for the current year.
- Note: Cash includes cash and cash equivalents and short term investments.
- Explain how the ratio is calculated and discuss and interpret the ratios that you calculated.
- Discuss potential liquidity issues based on your calculations of the current and quick ratios.
- Are there any factors that could be erroneously influencing the results of the ratios?
- Discuss liquidity issues of the three companies.
Comparison of Accounting Methods
In your paper, ascertain from the notes of the financial statements the following:
- Explain the difference between the allowance method and the direct write off method for accounts receivable. Document the method used for each of the three companies.
- Explain the difference between the straight line, double declining balance and the unit-of-production depreciation methods. Document the method used for each of the three companies.
- Explain the difference between LIFO and FIFO and document the method used for each of the three companies.
- Explain the different categories of intangible assets and document the method used for each of the three companies.
Based on your analysis, would you recommend an individual invest in these companies? What strengths do you see? What risks do you see? It is perfectly acceptable to state that you would recommend avoiding this company, as long as you provide support for your position.
Include an appendix in a separate document. The appendix must include screenshots of the financial statements and information obtained for the receivables, intangible assets, depreciation, and inventory. You can get help with creating an appendix in APA format by using the UAGC Writing Center’s guide, Tables, Images, & Appendices (Links to an external site.).
The Financial Statement Analysis Final Paper
- Must be five to seven double-spaced pages in length (not including title and references pages) and formatted according to APA style as outlined in the UAGC Writing Center’s APA Style. (Links to an external site.)
- Must include a separate title page with the following:
- Title of paper
- Student’s name
- Course name and number
- Instructor’s name
- Date submitted