- (a) You are given the following data: the spot exchange rate is USD/EUR 1.21; the p.a. simple interest rate on a six-month deposit is 4 percent in the US and 5 percent in Europe. Compute:
- The forward rate for a six-month forward contract
- The time-T EUR value of a USDT 1 six-month forward sale
- The time-t EUR value of a USDT 1 six-month forward sale
- The time-T EUR value of a EURt 1 six-month investment
The time-t USD value of a EURt 1 six-month forward sale
(b) Suppose you are quoted the following EUR/USD spot and forward rates:
Spot 3-month forward p.a. 3-month
bid-ask bid-ask interest rate
USD 0.80-0.90 0.85-0.92 4.00-4.40
(i) What are the 3-month synthetic-forward EUR/USD bid-ask rates?
(ii) Are there any arbitrage opportunities? Are there any opportunities for least-cost dealing at the synthetic rate? If yes, explain how you would take advantage of them.