a new window
- Assignment List
- Assignment 1: Presentation – Identifying Organizations (Due Week 3)
Assignment 1: Presentation – Identifying Organizations (Due Week 3)
DUE: Jun 21, 2020 11:55 PM
GradeN/A Gradebook CommentsNone
Open DateJun 1, 2020 12:05 AMGraded?YesPoints Possible30.0Resubmissions Allowed?NoAttachments checked for originality?Yes
SOCI 212 – Social Problems
Assignment 1: Presentation – Identifying Organizations (Due Week 3).
For this assignment, we will expand upon our understanding of a social problem through analyzing the organizations that are committed to addressing it. For example, with respect to the social problem of homelessness, we see a variety of local and national level organizations that seek to enable people the opportunity to have permanent housing. Habitat for Humanity would be an excellent example of an organization that deals with such a concern. As another example, regarding the social problem of poverty, we may look at the Salvation Army as a type of organization committed to helping impoverished people, or people recently released from prison or drug treatment, to find gainful employment and reclaim a quality-of-life. Your job in this assignment will be to do your own independent research on two organizations that are committed to addressing a social problem of your choosing.
For this assignment, you will put together a presentation of 10 slides minimum. You may use a presentation program of your choice such as any of these which offer free use:
Please attach, embed, or provide a link to your presentation to submit it for grading.
Your Presentation must do the following:
1. Select a social problem of your choice. Introduce the problem on at least one slide.Describe two organizations (feel free to do your own independent research on these organizations) that is seeking to address this social problem.
2. Next, analyze two major ways that each organization is addressing the social problem you have mentioned. For example, are they helping to create homeless shelters, are they helping people receive drug treatment, or are they working with state and local authorities to curb suffering in some area?
3. Define four concepts from our readings/materials that relate to your chosen social problem and analyze how these concepts help us better understand the social problem you are discussing. Some examples of concepts are ideas such as stratification, ethnicity, racism, sexism, and others as mentioned in our readings and materials (NOTE: these are just examples of concepts – they may NOT apply to your topic – you need to select concepts that apply to your own topic).
4. Define one sociological theory from our readings/materials that relates to your chosen social problem and analyze how this theory helps us better understand the social problem you are discussing. Sociological theories include functionalism, conflict theory, feminist theory, symbolic interactionism, and others as mentioned in our readings and materials.
Note – you may find our Sociological Theories and Concepts Toolkit to be helpful (found in Announcements).
Do not use unverifiable, secondary sites such as Wikipedia, about.com, ask.com, and similar. Use our course materials, peer-reviewed journal articles from the library, and other scholarly sources that are no more than five years old.
Your presentation should utilize sound critical thought and it should include appropriate APA in-text citations and full APA references at the end.
The structure of the Presentation must include the following:
— TITLE SLIDE (1 slide minimum)
— BODY OF PRESENTATION WITH SUBHEADINGS (8 slides minimum)
— REFERENCE SLIDE (1 slide minimum)
This course has “Resubmission” status enabled to help you if you realize you submitted an incorrect or blank file, or if you need to submit multiple documents as part of your Assignment. Resubmission of an Assignment after it is graded, to attempt a better grade, is not permitted.
Course Objectives and Learning Outcomes:
Assignment 1 will evaluate your ability to do the following:
Course Objective One
Identify specific social problems and their cause-effect patterns.
Course Objective Two
Identify current research methods that are utilized for the investigation of social problems.
Course Objective Three
Compare and contrast current and suggested policies, programs, and/or treatments in terms of their effectiveness for alleviating the negative consequences of social problems.
Course Objective Four
Apply class concepts to support opinions about social problems.
Course Objective Five
Illustrate how the sociological process enables us to identify various social concerns.
Course Objective Seven
Apply sociological theories to explain the occurrence and scope of these problems.
View the grading rubric so you understand how you will be assessed on this Assignment. Click the grid icon at the top of this instruction page, or the grid icon under “View iRubric” on the main Assignments page.