Please note that you are required to support your views by citing your sources in all assignments. Even if the question asks for your opinion, you are still expected to support your opinion with references to published works and other materials. APA format is necessary for your assignments when citing references, and assistance on how to cite in APA format is available using the APA Citation Center.
- Choose “Library” from the top navigation bar.
- Choose “APA Citation Center” from the left navigation bar.
- Click “Example Sources.”
- Scroll down, and click “APA Documentation.”
For more information on citing your sources, please click on the About this Course link in the classroom.
When examining the historical context of treatment in a correctional setting, it must be seen through both domestic and international viewpoints. Under the domestic view, the United States primarily uses a custodial model, which focuses on using incapacitation as the method of retribution and deterrence.
In contrast, the international view, specifically Europe, uses the rehabilitation model. This model focuses on rehabilitating the person to become a productive member of society.
In this assignment, compare and contrast the models of corrections from the perspectives of the United States and the United Kingdom. In this paper, explain which model you think provides the best treatment.
- Using the library, course materials, textbook, and Web resources, research the custodial model of incarceration of the United States and the rehabilitation model of the United Kingdom.
- Address the following in a Word document of 2–3 pages:
- How are these 2 models similar?
- How are these 2 models different?
- Which model do you feel is more effective at reducing the rate of recidivism?
- Do you believe that both countries should adopt the same model of incarceration?
- Compile your findings and responses pertaining to the above information into a Word document of 2–3 pages, and submit the file to your instructor.
Please submit your assignment.