I need an explanation for this History question to help me study.
Write a 3-5 page essay comparing and contrasting two works of art from two different styles covered in this course between the periods of the High Renaissance and Impressionism. One of your selected works of art must be from AFTER the midterm (Modules 8-14) You must cover the following points in your comparison:
Introduction and Thesis
- Introduce the artwork titles, period styles and artists names
- Briefly state what you believe is significant about these artworks
- In other words… Tell your reader what works of art you will be discussing and why you think they are important
- Correctly identify artwork titles, period styles and artists names
- Compare the artworks by discussing key stylistic characteristics associated with artists and period styles
- Apply art history vocabulary correctly and uses it to support your stylistic analysis
- In other words… What make these works stylistically significant?
- Compare the artworks by discussing key cultural issues associated with artists and periods
- Discuss how the cultural context of each period influenced the artistic development of the period style (Make connections between cultural context and style)
- In other words… What makes these works culturally significant?
Conclusion and Thematic Connection
- Analyze the ways art can affect and/or reflect cultural, political and social issues
- Draw conclusions about the artist / society which produced the artwork from the comparison
- In other words… What “Thematic Connection” can you make between the two works of art that helps you better understand them or the culture they represent?
- Incorporate 3 our more sources (outside of lecture notes & textbook) to support your analysis
- Properly cite your sources using MLA format
- Include a list of “Works Cited”
- Use of grammar, spelling and punctuation correctly throughout your paper
In other words…there should be no mechanical errors!
3 in addition to the module text
- scholarly professional web site (for example, a museum, research institute or university)
- nonfiction book published within the last 50 years
- an art history textbook such as Garnders Art Through the Ages, Jansen’s, or Schneider-Adams
- professional art historical publication (magazine or journal, can be online) such as The Art Bulletin
- Databases such as the Oxford Dictionary of Art Online (accessible through the AAU Library website)
- Credible professional websites such as those of museums, galleries, and universities, for example:
In other words… Don’t use Wikipedia!!!
Your research paper must:
- Be a minimum of 3-5 pages, excluding illustrations, headings, and paragraph breaks.
- Be spell-checked, grammar-checked, proofread for errors not caught by your computer.
- Include a heading containing your full name, ID number, class title and section, date, and instructor’s name.
- Be typed and double-spaced, 12-point, Times New Roman font.
- Be submitted as a Microsoft Word-compatible document (.doc or .rtf, not .docx).
Cite references used according to MLA style and include a Works Cited page at the end of your essay. You are encouraged to use A Writer’s Reference by Diana Hacker (see also Research and Documentation Online, 5th edition) for help with MLA style, revision, punctuation, and sentence style, and A Short Guide to Writing About Art by Sylvan Barnett for specific help with comparing and contrasting artwork.
The pair you choose must be drawn from two different period styles. For example, you may compare a Mannerist artwork with a Baroque artwork. However, you may NOT compare a Mannerist artwork with another work from the Mannerist period.
It is important to choose two artworks that have a number of things in common as well as a number of unique aspects to compare.